Plan Your Field Trip
Exhibit Tours and Programs
Schedule a visit to one of our current exhibits. To extend your learning experience, pair your visit with one of our interactive programs:
- Southwest Michigan’s Fruit Belt: Why is southwest Michigan’s fruit growing industry world famous? This program combines science and history with a look at local fruit farming, technology, and Benton Harbor’s Fruit Market.
- French Fur Traders: During the late 17th century, Native Americans traded with French explorers. Learn about Native American culture, trade systems, early explorers to the area in this program filled with historic objects and a bartering session.
- St. Joseph’s Five Lighthouses: Discover the different lights that have stood guard over St. Joseph’s busy port in this program filled with maritime history.
- Community Walking Tour/ Bus Tour: Explore our historic communities and book a guided historical walking tour or bus tour for your students covering important architecture and events in local history; customizable to your grade level.
If you can’t visit the museum, we’ll come to you! An educator will provide a 45-minute program with hands-on objects and activities. Choose either: Michigan’s Fruit Belt, the French Fur Trade, or The Lighthouses of St. Joseph.
We’ve packed a bin full of hand-on objects, lesson plans, posters, videos, and more to turn your classroom into a mini-museum! Borrow a kit if you are unable to visit the museum or to help you preview or follow-up after your visit. Kits may be checked out for two weeks at no charge.
Choose either: Michigan’s Fruit Belt or Shared Waters: Native Americans and the French Fur Trade.
- Preserve the Fruit Belt – Full of lesson plans for middle school students; lessons are in English and Spanish
- Shipwrecks: A Deep Look at the Rise of the Self-Unloader – Also for middle school students with lessons on maritime history and technology
- Ice Age Imperials Guide for Educators: Lessons of the Ice Age – Full of information on Great Lakes prehistory and elementary grade levels. Focuses on science content.
We are happy to customize a program for your group. Please call for more information.
Schedule an On-Site or Classroom Visit
To set a date and time that fits your educational needs, contact us online or call (269) 983-1191 today. We can also answer your questions and arrange to send guest speakers, curriculum guides and exhibit learning kits to your classroom. Just ask.