Always learning from our past to build a stronger, brighter future
We all need a place that tells our stories of accomplishments, mistakes and dreams; a place that shares how our community came to be what it is today and why we live the way we do. We need somewhere that inspires us to keep our story going. The Heritage Museum is our remembering place in St. Joseph, Michigan, housing our area’s history, its artifacts and archival collections and a research library. This historical building along Main Street is carefully preserved and beautifully appointed. It presents our stories in spacious exhibit halls and creates new memories in elegant banquet facilities. Making that possible is our:
Staff: Meet the professionals who safeguard and enrich our local culture.
Board of Directors: Here are the community leaders who provide the vision and passion to keep the Heritage Museum and Cultural Center a vibrant regional resource.
- 2017-19 Strategic Directions
- Annual Report (2014-2016, 2017-2019)
- COO/Disaster Plan (request from firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 2018 Museum Exhibits and Recent Accomplishments
- DataArts Report (2017, 2018, 2019)
Because sharing our stories is so important, admission is FREE to everyone. Come journey into our past, see our present with a deeper understanding and thrill at the possibilities for the future. And if we can become part of your life’s special events, please contact us. We would be privileged to weave your chapter into ours.
VISIT US TODAY
We are located at: 601 Main Street, St. Joseph, Michigan
Admission: Free for all ages
Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 10am – 4pm By Appointment Only
For more information: Call (269) 983-1191
Membership: Enjoy special event invitations, Museum Store discounts, a subscription to The Heritage Journal and friendships with people who share your passion for local history. Please join us today.
Programs and services include:
- Public programs and events – (Current Public Programming is VIRTUAL ONLY until further notice. Our current Programming Schedule can be found here
- Museum exhibits and education programs for students and adults
- A research library and archives – An appointment can be made here, or by emailing email@example.com
- Frederick S. Upton Fellowship Program in Public History
- Support for preservation of historical buildings, neighborhoods, and historic artifacts
- Unique public and guided tours of the St. Joseph Inner Lighthouse and Foghorn Building (Currently closed due to Covid19 and water levels)
Whether you’re a visitor or a long-time resident, let The Heritage Museum take you on a journey through the history of Michigan’s lake frontier.
The Heritage Museum and Cultural Center will become a model for historical research, preservation, and education, where people enjoy history and appreciate how it affects their present and future.
The mission of the Heritage Museum and Cultural Center is to engage the public in a vibrant organization that promotes historical preservation, education and research that relates to Benton Harbor, St. Joseph and the surrounding region. We seek to inspire our visitors to make a personal and emotional connection to the past by providing on-going historical exhibits and programs that enable all persons to see their present and future more clearly.
There is a fundamental human need to understand the past in order to relate to the present and plan for the future. We are responsible to provide the resources to meet that need for everyone.